Monday, June 6, 2011

The Sound of Music

Gumbo gave the girls two CDs--one of them was "The Sound of Music" CD. I LOVE "The Sound of Music"--everything about it. I popped in the CD on Saturday when I was in the car with the girls. As soon as the CD started playing I started crying. I was sobbing and couldn't stop. We were on the interstate near the exit for my grandparents' house. "The Sound of Music" reminds me so much of my Jama. We would watch the movie together when I was a little girl. Attie and I loved it and Jama (and Pa) were so sweet and patient and would let us watch it on the Betamax every time we came over and Jama would sing with us. These memories are so special to me. Attie and I would have sleepovers at Jama and Pa's house and Saturday night dinner was pizza AND hamburgers--yes, both. It was a dream. Then we would have orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream (K&B vanilla ice cream--the best ever) mixed together. We loved watching "The Mandrell Sisters," "The Love Boat," and "Fantasy Island." Sometimes "Fantasy Island" was super scary. As we got older we would watch "SNL" too. On Sundays we would have ham grits for breakfast (always making sure to eat from the outside first so as not to burn our tongues) then go to mass at St. Pius then to City Park for Storyland and a picnic (tuna fish sandwiches usually). We loved riding over the "tickle bridges" in City Park. Jama and Pa always read us Dr. Seuss books before bed. Taddy sweetly let us sleep in her bed when we spent the night. The weekend was always full of board games and stories and songs and they were perfect weekends. I am so happy to have these memories.

I miss you, my Jama. I love you so much and I think about you daily. I use Jama-isms often ("let Betsy worry about Betsy and Sadie worry about Sadie" and "no one gets seconds until everyone gets firsts!"). My girls talk about their Jama to me all of the time and we love to remember you.

1 comment:

Neila said...

Love this post. And I loved K&B ice cream!